Responsive web design is a drive to make the web designing more adaptable to the changing needs of web users. With the advent of iPhones and smart phones, the web world has travelled a full journey from the desktops to palms. And so, it has become quite obvious to be more experimental in the field of web design to architect the web pages fully compatible with various screen widths. The concept is becoming so popular that clients have started asking designers to provide them the sample of “iPhone web design” which is nothing but a layman term for responsive web design.
Responsive web design can also be seen as simply shrinking the web page size to suitable optima to enable the user to read the contents of web page without going through the pains of simultaneous horizontal and vertical scrolling. Normally the web page width is 1292 pixels spread into four columns. Shrinking it into 2-cloumn with 1025 pixels width helps the designer achieve the desired statistics favorable for various small screen sizes.
Steps Involved in Responsive Web Design
- Graphic Design Company can help the web designers to make the web pages responsive. Resizing is the main tool to get the desired results. CSS transitions are a handy solution to tackle the ever-popping media queries that require constant jumping from one style to another.
- Re-formatting the data tables is another way to revamp the web page layout. Data table needs to be in proper size to read the contents clearly and if size is taken care of then fitting it into smaller screen is impossible. Remodeling the data table into pie-charts or graphical representations which consume less pixels are available options for the designers to make responsive web designs.
- Making side bar wide or narrow is the specialty of fluid width designs. Use of simple HTML 5 techniques can employ attributes which has pre-loaded data to enable the designer to store more data in less space.
- CSS files allow incorporating innumerable media queries in restricted space. The use of ‘and’ operator and not keyword are some of the tricks implied in redesigning the screen shot.
- Experimenting with navigation bars in terms of remodeling the links into drop down menus crops down the size to a considerable extent. It also provides exclusivity to the navigation process in terms of choosing the desirable options on tips.
Tools of Responsive Web Design
1. Web-putty: This is a web-based CSS editor. Equipped with auto-save facility, it helps designer get the regular previews of the website designed. SCSS support and CSS selector are additional features of this tool.
2. Responsive design testing: Testing is mandatory for all experiments to check the success level of the change made in process. responsive.js file can be used on own file and testing own site, frame by frame, is a fun.
3. Error-free CSS queries: The debugging of CSS queries is essential to allow users to use mixing techniques sing Sass. This also allows designer to work under different ports and states to make the design suitable for all environments.
4. response.js: This is a mobile-friendly web design. Script is re-designed to develop documents and file sizes optimized for mobile specifications.
Web- designing has to cope with the changing technologies. If the design is not meant for new platforms the design is bound to be obsolete. It is thus important to make the web design responsive and adaptable to palm tops, lap tops and mobile. Size is the main concern of various platforms and organizing things in sync with the available space is the answer to changing needs of the users.
Responsive web design makes it possible to remodel the web page in tune with the platform on which it is going to be viewed. Responsive web design can help the designers to make the web information visible and accessible in true sense, even to those viewers who are on move and are no longer stuck to desks to perform day-to-day tasks.