With the mobile technology advancement, mobile applications have proved that they are a remarkably proficient tool. They made once-complex tasks easily achievable with a simple finger tap or swipe gestures.
Mobiles are rapidly flourishing with market demands and growing technology. They have made our life so convenient and luxurious. And, observing the current trends, analysts have predicted that in the coming future, the mobile phones will become a primary source for accessing the Internet instead of desktop computers.
Hence, it would be completely worthy for designers and developers to work accordingly and consider mobiles as their primary goal rather than focusing over desktop-centric projects.
Here are some of the effective tips that can help you create fabulous mobile app UI while ensuring its accessibility ease.
1. Don’t Leave The Platform Conventions Behind:
Every mobile platform offers certain conventions to users that make accessibility a breeze. And since, these are in the market for a long time, they must have ingrained in the minds of innumerable users. Thus, implementing the well-known conventions in your application will help your customers to easily access the app.
While if just for the sake of creating a unique application, you integrate some new or distinct conventions (breaking the usual ones) in the app, users will end up feeling embarrassed and frustrated upon not knowing them. Since, their instinct will call the action that the implemented convention is not suppose to do, they will ultimately prefer abandoning the application either due to guilt or annoyance. Obviously, you won’t expect that kind of reaction from your potential customers.
Hence, implementing regular conventions of the platform in the UI is often a good practice. It is recommended to stay updated with all the conventional and latest conventions of the platform for which you are designing a mobile app. For instance, some of the available iOS conventions are Hit Area, Filtering, Grammar, Page Dot Color, Pinch to Zoom, Text Case and a lot more.
2. Ensure Navigation At Its Best:
Though, mobile apps are not as complex as certain bulky websites (like Amazon that features innumerable products), it’s advisable to ensure a convenient navigation in your mobile app. A well-curated navigation helps users to switch between the app screens seamlessly (if you have created a multi-screen app). Your UI design should be intuitive enough to epitomize properly that where the user is, what else can he access and how can he get access to that.
This motive can be achieved by integrating intelligible elements. For this, what you can do is –
- Display the content in a categorized fashion.
- Less options make the access easier for the user.
- Integrate visual hints to exemplify the functionalities of your app.
- For ensure minimum confusion, deploy predictable navigations.
Creating an afterthought design leads to complex navigation. And since, mobile apps are often accessed while users are on the go, it’s more essential to ensure navigation ease.
3. Follow The Global Guidelines:
The global guidelines are made considering the structure and utility of the Samrtphones. Let’s have a look at the basic aspects of mobile applications that can help you create a better UI.
- Usage of thumbs: It has been observed that most of the people say, touchscreen devices bring everything at your fingertips, however, the fact is that Smarphone users often access their devices via their thumbs. And especially, while handling the phone with two hands, a user will never be able access it with fingers.
- Choose the target place wisely: It is imperative, to keep in mind that it is thumb face which helps interact with the touchscreen not the thumb tip. Hence, while designing the UI, place the target where they can be easily accessed. As per the current observations and trends, an element of 44 pixel size is considered ideal for a thumb-friendly UI.
- Avoid scrolling: Scrolling adds complexity to the mobile interface. Since, a non-scrolling screen is more predictable, it’s better keep it subtle with effective indications regarding the remaining content that is out of view.
- Ensure responsiveness: It is the most essential element that makes the UI appear interactive and intuitive. Since, there is a plethora of mobile devices out there, it is advisable to ensure that your app interface adapts well to the device structure on which it is running.
4. Maintain Transparency:
If you want to make user and application interaction a breeze, you must ensure that the integrated UI maintains utmost transparency with users. Though, the above mentioned aspects also add to transparency, but there are a few more that can help you design a transparent mobile app UI.
- Text that is readable and comprehensive: The language used in the application must be easy to understand. You can choose as many languages for your apps, but make your choice on the basis of targeted potential audience base. Use simple words, avoid truncations, and don’t forget that readers love to read short and precise content.
- Icons that are coherent: There is no harm in deploying the usual icons, in fact, the icons which have been used consistently are easily understandable and allow users to comfortably use the app. Your application will surely stand out of the crowd, if it will boast an interactive and beautiful interface along with high end functionality.
These are some resourceful tips that can help you streamline your mobile app UI design and create an easily accessible application.
Author Signature: Lucie Kruger is a Senior Content Editor and IT consultant for Mobiers Ltd, which offers the best Mobile Application Development Services. You can also contact her, if you are looking forward to hire mobile application developer for premium services.